DIY content is a powerful tool for enhancing the performance and appeal of your website. By providing valuable do-it-yourself guides, tutorials, and tips, your website can attract and engage a wider audience while offering helpful content. This content is valuable to users and search engines alike, making it a winning strategy that should definitely be part of your content planning.
Increase Visibility With Helpful DIY Content
Incorporating DIY content into your website can increase brand awareness and visibility, improve user retention, and increase customer loyalty. It not only shows customers that you’re knowledgeable about the work you do, but also that you’re willing to help them learn what they can do on their own so they can save a bit of money by fixing small issues themselves before they call in a pro. When it is time to call in a pro, you’ve already established expertise and trust -who do you think they’re going to call when they need help?
Homeowners often seek cost-effective solutions and practical advice for various household projects, repairs, and improvements. By offering DIY content, a home services website can position itself as an authoritative resource, building trust with visitors. Not a home services business? That’s okay! There are numerous DIY content opportunities out there for every industry, from legal to home services, and everything in between -even local SEO companies.
Here are a few ideas that can help drive relevant traffic:
- Legal – Quick guides for filing restraining orders, small claims cases, separation documents, or other paperwork. Information on obtaining a police report or medical records.
- Photography – How to take a great selfie, candid photo, or portrait. Tips for phone photography.
- Medical – How to treat common illnesses, fevers, or injuries at home. How to determine if a rash or injury is okay to treat at home or needs medical attention. Tips on utilizing over-the-counter medications to treat common issues.
- Dental – How to best care for your mouth between visits, a DIY guide to preventing cavities, or the best way to floss/brush/maintain your teeth to prevent expensive dental work in the future.
- Automotive – Tutorials on changing oil, checking tire pressure, adding fluids, jump-starting a car, and any other quick maintenance tips are commonly searched for -why not direct those searchers to your site?
- Mental Health – Calming techniques for anxiety, exercises to improve mood or help with a restful night’s sleep, breathing exercises, and helpful tips for easing anxiety/depression/etc.
- Pest Control – Tips for identifying common pests, how to get rid of common pests, saving your garden from grasshoppers, how to mouse-proof your kitchen, and keeping spiders out when the weather cools off are all frequently searched terms that can bring in traffic.
- Landscaping – How to keep your lawn green all summer, rid your yard of common pests, how to trim shrubs and trees, and tips and tricks for seasonal tree care or yard maintenance.
- Electrical – Provide tutorials for easy tasks like changing outlets or light switches, connecting a new doorbell, changing a light fixture, and how to install a ceiling fan are relatively simple projects that are often done alongside larger projects. Teach them to do the easy things so they call you when it’s time to replace that panel!
- Plumbing – How to unclog a drain or toilet, replace a faucet, or turn off your water in an emergency. Having a quick guide during a crisis is priceless, and they will remember you when they’re looking to hire someone for a larger job.
- Home Services – How to do regular maintenance, tips for painting a bedroom, simple parts replacements, and other projects that are safe for non-pros to do.
Boost Rankings, Increase Traffic, and Get Leads With DIY Content
DIY content can also help foster a sense of community, encouraging users to share their experiences and engage in discussions, thereby increasing user interaction, link shares, and site traffic. Additionally, well-optimized DIY content can improve a website’s search engine rankings, attracting more organic traffic and potential customers seeking expert guidance on their home-related projects.
When writing or filming DIY content, be sure to remind your audience that they can always stop and call you for help at any time if they get in over their head. It’s also helpful to give people tips on when it’s time to step away from the project and call in a professional. Projects that require specialized tools, knowledge, or safety equipment are great examples of when it’s time to hang up the tool belt and call in a professional.