Updated February 12, 2021
What Is A CID Number On Google?
It’s important to understand that every Google Business Profile has a unique CID number that helps Google identify its listing quickly. Which might leave you wondering – what is a CID number? A google maps CID – which stands for Customer Identification (ID) – is an identification number for a specific business listing on Google Maps. Similar to a social insurance number or driver’s license number, it is a unique number that is only for your listing. It is good to know what your CID number is because if Google ever created a new record for you or merged listings, you would know. It also will allow you to get to different views of the listing (like coming from the Local Finder to Maps).
A fellow Google My Business Product Expert provided me with a tip on How To Find Your CID Number of a business listing on Google Maps.
Why Should You Know Your Google Map CID Number?
The CID number is good to know and document for any business because:
- It helps you connect the different views (Maps, Local Finder, Search etc) for a single listing
- It helps you know if a listing somehow got a new record if something was merged.
Here’s How to Find a CID Number
What You’ll Need To Find Your CID Number on Google:
Time: 5 minutes
Equipment: Computer or Smartphone
Tools: Google Search
1. Using the “GatherUp” Chrome Extension to Find a CID Number
Here’s how to find a CID number for a Google My Business (now Google Business Profile) listing. The fastest way to do this is to install the GatherUp Chrome Extension. This tool checks the listing and identifies the numbers (also called ludocid) so you don’t have to look for them yourself. If you are looking to determine how to view this and locate the CID number yourself, check option 3.
- Install the GatherUp Chrome extension
- To get the CID number of a listing pull it up in Search or the Local Finder
- Select the GatherUp chrome extension
- You can now copy the Maps URL with the CID number in it
2. Using the “Company Information in Google” Chrome Extension to Find a CID Number
Tom Waddington, a fellow Google Product Expert created a Chrome extension that is another great option for how to find a CID number URL for your Google Business Listing. It is called Company Information in Google.
3. Other Methods for Finding a CID Number for a Business
If you like testing things out and tinkering with Google here are a few more methods for you to test out.
From Google Maps
Helmut Geissler & Hector (treebles) showed me that if you have the business open in Google Maps:
- Do a search in Google Maps for the business name and make sure it’s the only result that shows up.
- Replace http:// with view-source: in the URL
- Click CTRL+F and search the source code for “ludocid”
- The CID will be the string of numbers after “ludocid\\u003d” and before #lrd
Example: If this is the code, the CID is in red:
From Google Maps for an SAB Listing (with hidden address)
The process for finding the google maps CID number for a service area business (SAB) is slightly different than for finding it with a business visible on Google Maps.
- Pull up the listing on Google Maps
- It will be some super long URL like this:
- You want to look for the super long set of characters that start with 0x (there are 2 of them and the second ends before the exclamation point). I highlighted one red and 1 blue in the above example.
- The second of the 2 (the one in blue above) lists the CID in hexadecimal after the 0x (leave that off). In this example, you’d be talking about: e060d065957c4103
- Throw that into a hexadecimal converter and you will have the CID number (In this example you should have ended up with 16168151796978303235)
Get SEO Help From The Best Team in the Business
If you’re a local business that needs help with how to find a CID number or with your online presence or handling technical SEO issues, at Sterling Sky we can help. We offer SEO audits, consulting, or monthly local SEO services. Contact our office today for more information.
Check out what Kayla had to say about our local SEO services on Google.
“Everyone I have talked to and worked with at Sterling are amazing! They are great at problem-solving and always come up with straightforward solutions to any problems I’m running into. I would recommend them to any local business I know.”
January 22, 2021