In the local search space, rebranding is something that happens quite often. This is a checklist of all the places a local business needs to update online when they are changing their business name.
- Update website first.
- The logo needs to reflect the new name. Often logos include taglines. If you want it to be clear that something is a part of your business name, don’t put it on a second line.
- Any place that references your business name (About Us page etc)
- Update the Site name inside WordPress or whatever CMS you use.
- Update your domain registry.
- Update business license with the Secretary of State (US) and other places you have licenses listed.
- If in healthcare: Update the NPI record.
- If in legal: Update the state bar website.
- Update major data providers. (I suggest hiring Whitespark for this if you don’t build your own citations.)
- Update your name in Google My Business.
- List your new name on your website on the contact & about page clarifying that you rebranded “Old Name is now called New Name as of June 2021”…
- Optional: Send out a press release announcing the name change.
We created a handy PDF of this list with checkboxes for you to follow any time you need to work through the steps!