Recently, there have been a few threads on the Google My Business forum where business owners cannot figure out why Google won’t allow them to add a phone number to their Google My Business (GMB) listing. It turns out there is a new setting that allows businesses to disable the phone number from appearing on their listing. Mike Blumenthal commented that this might be useful for business types like farmers’ markets that don’t really have a phone number that people can contact for help.
This feature could use some improvements because even if you select you don’t want a phone number on your listing, Google still prompts users to add one via Suggest an Edit.
Jason Brown, however, pointed out that if you try to add the phone number, it gives you an error and doesn’t actually add it:
How to remove your phone number from your Google My Business (GMB) listing
To remove your phone number from your listing on Google My Business or Google Maps, do the following:
- Sign in to the Google Account you used to sign up for Google My Business.
- Go to Google and search for your business name & address
- Click on the three dots to the right of the “Your business on Google” box.
- Click “Business profile settings” and scroll down until you see the phone number section. There should be an option to select to not show the phone number.
- The State of Spam Fighting: What We Learned From Analyzing 5,306 Listings in 16 Industries - April 11, 2022
-  The Ultimate Guide to Fighting Spam on Google Maps - February 28, 2022
- Why Are My Google Business Profile Posts Getting Rejected? - February 28, 2022