I have to say, your help in the Denver area has paid off CONSIDERABLY! 931 website visits and 370…read more →
What does temporarily closed mean? The label temporarily closed in Google has been around for several years but is not a very utilized feature currently. It is meant to be used when your business is closing for an extended length of time, but not permanently.
If your business is marked as “Temporarily Closed” on Google, you may be wondering how to remove temporarily closed on Google. It may take a few steps which we outline below, but the short version of how to remove temporarily closed on Google is to click the “Mark as Open” button in your Google Business Profile (GBP).
In this Guide
- How to Remove the Temporarily Closed Label in Google Business Profile
- How do you temporarily close your Google Business Profile listing?
- Does the listing rank when it’s marked “temporarily closed”?
- The label does not automatically sync with Google Ads
- Temporarily closed listings can receive new reviews
- Why Does Google Say My Business Is Permanently Closed?
- Other Options
How to Remove Temporarily Closed in Google Business Profile?
Are you wondering how to remove the temporarily closed label in GBP? There are five steps to get rid of the temporarily closed label in Google Business Profile. Here’s how to remove the Temporarily Closed in GBP:
- Go to the Info tab inside Google Business Profile.
- Right beside where you edit the address, there should be a few buttons off to the right. Click “Mark as Open”.
- If that doesn’t work, click on the Google Business Profile logo in the top left of your screen to be taken back to the overview tab for your account. From there, you should see a list of locations in your account.
- Check the box beside the listing you want to re-open and click the “Actions” drop-down and click “Open” as indicated in this photo:
- Finally, if that doesn’t work, you can go to Google Maps, pull up the business, and click “Suggest an Edit” to mark it as open,
How do you temporarily close your Google Business Profile listing?
To get your Google Business Profile listing marked “temporarily closed” you can go into the Google Business Profile dashboard and on the info tab there should be an option to mark it as closed temporarily:
Does the listing rank when it’s marked “temporarily closed”?
As of March 26th, the “temporarily closed” label does not impact the ranking of the listing (it did previously). Listings with the label added still rank in the 3-pack.
The label does not automatically sync with Google Ads
While searching for examples, I found a restaurant that has the temporarily closed label on it who forgot to shut off their Google Ads account. The ad for this business has the old hours on it showing the business as open. This is likely due to the fact that Location Extensions do not automatically sync with Google Business ProfileGoogle Business Profile
Temporarily closed listings can receive new reviews
Originally, during the beginning of COVID-19, Google made it so temporarily closed listings could not receive new reviews.
Why Does Google Say My Business Is Permanently Closed?
If you’re asking yourself, why does Google say my business is permanently closed? Google will label your business as permanently closed usually when a business has relocated and customers are seeing the old location (Google Maps to a closed place) instead of the new location’s address.
If you still want to utilize all the Google Business Profile features (like posts or reviews), you can opt to use special hours instead of having your listing marked as temporarily closed. This is a more hands-on approach if you don’t think your business will be closed for very long.
Tip: Do not use the opening date feature if your business is temporarily closed. If you set the opening date to a date in the future, it will cause your listing and reviews to become invisible on Google Search and Google Maps.
Contact a Top-Rated Local SEO Company
Sterling Sky Inc was founded in 2017 by Joy Hawkins. Joy has been working in the SEO industry since 2006, and is considered a leader within the SEO community. In this fast-paced industry, we work hard to make sure we are at the forefront when it comes to comprehending any and all changes that will affect how your business is found online. With a commitment to providing the best knowledge and expertise in the industry, Sterling Sky has built a reputation of quality work produced at the highest standard. We are proud to be the only company currently to employ multiple Google My Business Product Experts. Contact us today!
Read about the experiences our clients have had with Sterling Sky.
I was referred to Sterling Sky by Marie Haynes and I have had fantastic experience! They have helped me…read more →
Joy Hawkins is one of the most knowledgeable local search practitioners in the industry. She understands how to research,…read more →