How to Add & Remove the Temporarily Closed Label on a Google My Business Listing
Posted by Joy Hawkins
The temporarily closed label has been around for several years but is not a very utilized feature currently. It is meant to be used when your business is closing for an extended length of time, but not permanently.
How do you temporarily close your Google My Business listing?
To get your Google My Business listing marked “temporarily closed” you can go into the Google My Business dashboard and on the info tab there should be an option to mark it as closed temporarily:
How to Remove the Temporarily Closed Label in Google My Business
If you want to re-open your listing after marking it as temporarily closed, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Info tab inside Google My Business.
- Right beside where you edit the address there should be a few buttons off to the right. Click “mark as open”.
- If that doesn’t work, click on the Google My Business logo in the top left of your screen to be taken back to the overview tab for your account. From there, you should see a list of locations in your account.
- Check the box beside the listing you want to re-open and click the “Actions” drop-down and click “Open” as indicated in this photo:
- Finally, if that doesn’t work, you can go to Google Maps, pull up the business, and click “Suggest an Edit” to mark it as open.
Does the listing rank when it’s marked “temporarily closed”?
As of March 26th, the “temporarily closed” label does not impact the ranking of the listing (it did previously). Listings with the label added still rank in the 3-pack.
The label does not automatically sync with Google Ads
While searching for examples, I found a restaurant that has the temporarily closed label on it who forgot to shut off their Google Ads account. The ad for this business has the old hours on it showing the business as open. This is likely due to the fact that Location Extensions do not automatically sync with Google My Business (more on that in my upcoming LocalU presentation)
“Temporarily closed” is not currently available in the Google My Business API
We can always hope this will change, but as of yesterday, Adam Dorfman got confirmation that this feature won’t be part of the API for the foreseeable future.
Temporarily closed listings cannot receive new reviews
One perk to the temporarily closed label is that businesses won’t have to worry about managing Google My Business reviews while they’re closed. You can’t leave a review for a listing that has a temporarily closed label on it.
If you still want to utilize all the Google My Business features (like posts or reviews), you can opt to use special hours instead of having your listing marked as temporarily closed. This is a more hands-on approach if you don’t think your business will be closed for very long.
What You’ll Need:
Time: 5 minutes
Equipment: Computer or Smartphone
Tools: Google Search
- How to Get Review Notifications When You Manage Over 100 Google My Business Listings - May 4, 2021
- Are Coworking Spaces Against the Google My Business Guidelines? - April 21, 2021
- Our 8-Step ‘Rebranding Your Business’ Checklist - April 20, 2021