The "Business Description" Returns to Google My Business: What You Need To Know
Posted by Colan Nielsen
It’s been almost two years since Google My Business dropped the ability to edit the business description field. Once the ability to edit your business description was removed from GMB the only way to edit your business description was by going to aboutme.google.com and editing it there.
Fast forward almost two years and the business description editing capabilities have returned to Google My Business.
What Exactly is the Business Description?
The official name of the new feature is simply “Description From the Business”. The descriptions will be an optional addition to GMB listings that listing owners can choose to write and add themselves. These descriptions will display on business listings when they appear on Google Search.
These “Descriptions From the Business” will not replace the Google editorial summary that shows at the top of many Knowledge Panels and Map listings for a business.
How Do I Add a Description to My Listing?
You can add the description a few different ways:
- GMB Dashboard
- Spreadsheet Upload
When in the “Info” section of your GMB dashboard you will see the option to add the business description.
Business Description Guidelines
The guidelines for representing your business on Google have been updated to reflect the addition of the business description.
Google has also updated the “Edit Your Business Listing” section of the help center to reflect some additional guidelines.
Additional Considerations to Be Aware Of
- Multi-location brands are ok to use a standard message across all listings if they choose to
- Email addresses are ok to include in the description
- Description will appear in the Knowledge Panel in a similar placement to Google Posts
If you are not seeing the business description in your GMB dashboard don’t panic. As of today the feature is not 100% rolled out but should be by the end of next week.
Are you seeing the new feature in your GMB dashboard?
- [Quiz Result] Are Appointment-Only Businesses Allowed a GMB Listing? - February 2, 2021
- Should a Small Business Have a Blog in 2021? - January 19, 2021
- [Quiz Result] Can a Food Truck Have a GMB Listing If They Don’t Have a Permanent Location? - December 22, 2020