31 Words That Will Cause Your Google Posts to Fail and Filter Your Google Reviews.
Posted by Joy Hawkins
Google My Business has a system in place for quality purposes that automatically filters out content that contains certain “trigger words”. This is often referred to as the Google Nanny Bot and is designed to help filter out inappropriate content. There are a couple things you need to know about this filter:
- There only appears to be one list of words that apply to all content across Google My Business. This means that the same words that cause your Google Posts to fail will also cause reviews your customers wrote you to be filtered. Interestingly, some of the GMB Product Experts have experimented and found that the bot scans the content of Google Posts but not the title (this might get corrected over time).
- The list of words doesn’t appear to vary across different languages.
I have to send a huge shout-out to Helmut Geisser for this list. He is one of the other Google My Business Product Experts who has helped me compile this list by bringing up countless examples from threads over at the Google My Business Forum. This is one of those posts on my site that I will be updating frequently.
The List of Words to Avoid
- Bite Me
- Coon (as in “Coon Rapids”)
- Dmexco or Dmexico
- Jerk or Jerking
- LGBTQ (Disclaimer, I think this one will be corrected)
- Penis (shocker, I know)
- Queer Influence
- Schmuck (the word for “jewelry” in German)
- Stripping (as in “weather stripping”)
- Suck it up
- Transvestite show
- Vise Puta
As you can see, the vast majority of these words have some type of sexual definition (lots are slang) but it can cause some issues when you’re using it in another context. For example, there is nothing sexual about referring to weather stripping, Coon Rapids, MN or when I used the word “tool” describing why I liked the tools GatherUp created in my review for them on Google (which remained filtered until I removed the word “tool”).
Have you found other examples? Let me know in the comments and I’ll add it to the list.
- How to Get Review Notifications When You Manage Over 100 Google My Business Listings - May 4, 2021
- Are Coworking Spaces Against the Google My Business Guidelines? - April 21, 2021
- Our 8-Step ‘Rebranding Your Business’ Checklist - April 20, 2021